|Omsk Institutions of Higher Education
|Translation by Helen Urazova|
1.F.M. Dostoevsky Omsk State University
F.M. Dostoevsky Omsk State University is one of the most prestigious higher educational institutions of the city. At that time the teaching personnel of the new university was formed of the specialists that were invited to Omsk from Irkutsk, Novosibirsk, Moscow, and other university centers of European Russia.
In the beginning there were only two departments in OmSU (Science and the Humanities). Today there are 13 of them: Economics, Law, History, Philology, Culture and Art, Foreign Languages, Theology and World Cultures, International Business, Computer Sciences, Psychology, Mathematics, Physics, and Advanced Training department.
Every year about 1,000 specialists graduate from the university. The personnel policy of the University is focused first of all on its graduates. Training of the personnel of the highest level is realized by means of postgraduate course of the university, postgraduate course in other universities and institutions of doctoral candidacy.
The scientific work of the university includes a broad range of fundamental and applied research in various fields of knowledge. The scientists of Omsk leading university do research in the different first- priority areas of science and engineering, take part in the implementation of international, federal, and regional programs, and obtain grants from the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation, as well as from scientific and social funds.
Scientific schools that study archaeological and ethnographical complexes, algebra, geometry, and topology are created and successfully developed in the university. Every year the classical university holds more than 10 international, All-Russian, and regional conferences. To support promising researches of the young scientists a contest of grants which is called “To the young scientists of OmSU” is held.
The institution develops international relations with the universities of the USA, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Turkey, and other countries. Under the treaty with the Turkish educational fund “UFUK” the Turkish language is taught in the university, and Turkish students study Russian there.
2.Omsk State University
is an important factor of economic, social, and cultural development of the region, and the university education focuses on the up-to-date labour-market.
At the thirtieth anniversary, in 2004, the classical university acquired a right to be named after F.M. Dostoevsky. It was OmSU rector Gennady Gering who suggested the idea to name Omsk State University after Dostoevsky. The approval of the name underwent long debates. Abroad the names of Russian classics F.M. Dostoevsky and L.N. Tolstoy are counted among the most famous ones for today. It is these writers who are by rights considered the embodiment of the singularity of the Russian culture; it is by their works that foreigners study “the mysterious Russian soul”. The new name of Omsk State University is aimed to make its image even better and increase the popularity of the institution.
Today F.M.Dostoevsky Omsk State University is first of all a polyfunctional research, educational, and cultural complex that carries out professional training and retraining of specialists in wide range of areas on the basis of promising scientific projects, thus providing innovative development of the economy of the country and the region.
OmSU views its mission in the extension of the sphere of education, meeting the needs of the citizens to get education, providing the labour-market with competitive specialists, integration with the regions of Russian North, Kazakhstan, and Central Asia, formation of the favourable image of Siberia as the territory of advanced technologies and high moral culture. Realizing its mission the university intends to create educational, research and innovative environment that will make it possible to train graduates that are oriented to the professional development, civil values, and social responsibility.
3.Omsk State Technical University
Omsk State Technical University (OmSTU) holds high position in the sphere of education in this region. This institution of higher education has an interesting history. In 1941Voroshilovgrad evening machine-building institute was evacuated to Omsk. After that, in 1942, it was transformed into Omsk Machine-building Institute.
The first students of Omsk Machine-building Institute were young people evacuated from Moscow, Leningrad, Kiev, and other cities. By the time of conversion of Voroshilovgrad Evening Machine-building Institute into Omsk Machine-building Institute there were only seven departments in the institution: Marxism-Leninism, Higher Mathematics and Theoretical Mechanics, Descriptive Geometry and Graphics, Physics, Chemistry, Technical Mechanics, and Electrical Engineering. Technology of Machine-building was the only major for engineers.
In 1963 Omsk Machine-building Institute was reorganized into Omsk Polytechnic Institute (OmPI).
In 1993, an important event occurred in the history of the educational institution, namely Omsk Polytechnic Institute was reorganized into Omsk State Technical University.
At present the technical university trains specialists at such departments as the Department of Information Technologies and Computer Systems, Transport, Oil and Gas, Radio Engineering, Economics and Management, Humanitarian Education, and the Department of Tuition by Correspondence and Distant Learning. Moreover, there is a department of pre-university training, a department of advanced training for the teachers, training center “OmSTU-FESTO”, and 4 institutes- of Power Engineering, Petrochemistry, Machine-building, and Life Safety. Omsk State Technical University has been training reserve officers at the special department since grim years of war.
At the department of pre-university training there function courses of paid training, specialization classes, preliminary training and a college. Every year the testing center of Omsk State Technical University administers centralized April testing.
The university includes branches in Nefteyugansk, Nizhnevartovsk, and Surgut.
The technical university possesses skilled personnel to de research in the areas mentioned above. The research of OmSTU has significant scientific results in the following spheres: Analytical and Applied Mechanics, Machine-building and Material Science, Heat and Mass-Exchange in Complex Thermodynamic Systems, Radio Engineering, and Synthesis of Adaptive Control.
The institution carries out extensive work of training specialists of the highest qualification by means of its Centers of Postgraduate and Doctoral Training.
Omsk State Technical University has its own printing facilities including printing office and editing and publishing department. In addition, the university has a museum that initially was created as a memorial museum by students, postgraduate students, and teachers (Thalmann work and the struggle of German anti-fascists). It opened at 100th anniversary of E.Thalmann in 1986. The museum is part of educational complex of the department of foreign languages and is unique in the institutions of higher education in Western Siberia. Its activity is reported in many articles and papers at Union, republican, and regional conferences.
4.Omsk State Pedagogical University
Omsk State Pedagogical University is Omsk largest institution of higher education training pedagogues. It was founded in 1932. At first it was an institute that had only 3 departments: of Russian Language and Literature, Physical and Mathematical, and Biological and Chemical.
In 1993 OSPI along with few other pedagogical institutes of the Russian Federation was renamed and became Omsk State Pedagogical University.
At present in Omsk State Pedagogical University one can get education at the following departments: Mathematics, Information Science, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Geography, Foreign Languages, History, Philology, Philosophy, Economics and Management, Psychology and Pedagogy, Pedagogy and Psychology of Childhood, Special Psychology and Pedagogy.
OSPU also has Institute of art, including the department of Art, and an Institute of Continuing Professional Education that includes department of pre-university education and department of advanced training and professional retraining of education workers.
Omsk State Pedagogical University has its branches in Tara town and Novovarshavka industrial community. Under OSPU there is also Academic lyceum and University college. About 600 teachers work at 65 departments of the university. More than half of the teachers have academic degrees of Sc.D. and Ph.D. The students of OSPU are attracted by the variety of learning form: full-time, correspondence, evening, externship. The latest pedagogical technologies including the elements of distant learning are used in the process of teaching.
Omsk Pedagogical University has its own publishing house, a department of computerization, a network of specialized classes and laboratories. Sports clubs and valeological center provide future teachers with opportunities of entertainment and healthy life-style. The university activities do not limit themselves to the programs of Higher education. OSPU realizes pre-university and after-university programs. Centers of Postgraduate and Doctoral Training provide teaching of 30 specialties.
One of the subdivisions of Omsk Pedagogical University is Center of Education Initiatives. Its activities are very diverse and include realization of additional educational programs, programs of paid educational services, and strategic planning. The center works on realization of Russian-British projects, organization of research work, opening of sites for trainees. The Center of Education Initiatives cooperates with various educational institutions of the city and the oblast: summarizes and spreads the experience in the sphere of education, consults individuals and legal entities in the sphere of education, renders assistance in professional development of teachers.
“Zolotoy Fond” (Golden Fund) recruiting agency functions in OmSPU. The agency works on job placement of students, graduates, and all comers, first of all in the sphere of education.
Omsk State Pedagogical University keeps up long-term relations with universities and other educational institutions of France, England, People's Republic of China, Poland, FRG, and the USA. The students and graduates of the university have an opportunity to get education abroad. Department of International Cooperation assists them here. Application of foreign experience, competition on the world labour-market, participation in international educational programs, cooperation with foreign partners, opens to the students and graduates a prospect for scientific and creative development. Foreign students study in Omsk State Pedagogical University as well.
5.Omsk State Agrarian University
Omsk Agrarian University is one of the oldest Siberian institutions of higher education. It was the first agricultural institute behind the Urals - it was founded in distant 1918, although it was planned to be opened as far back as in 1913. This educational institution began to function with the courses of training of state farm managers. With the course of time the institute turned into a strong educational center for training of agricultural sector workers. In the meantime over 100,000 agricultural workers got education within the walls of the institution.
Since 1920, the university has been called Academy (the educational institution was renamed several times over its history). At that time the Academy had 4 departments: Agronomics, Forestry, Land Management, and the Workers’ Faculty.
In 1994, Omsk State Agrarian University was created by means of reorganization of three institutes (Agricultural Institute, Institute of veterinary Medicine, and Institute of Retraining of Personnel and Agricultural Business).
There are five institutes included in the university (Institute of Veterinary medicine, Institute of Economics and Finances, Institute of Land Management and Cadastre, Institute of Technical Service in Agricultural Sector, and Institute of Correspondence Training and Advanced Training). There is also a Center of pre-university training, a branch in Tara town, and Omsk agrarian technical school in the structure of the university.
Omsk Agrarian University welcomes its entrants at the following departments: Agronomy, Agrochemistry, Soil Science and Ecology, Humanities, Land Management, Zooengineering, Dairy Products Technology, Commodity Research, Veterinary Medicine, Engineering Systems of Agricultural Water-Supply, Mathematics and Natural Science, Technical Service in Agricultural Sector.
Omsk State Agrarian University has a department of job placement of its graduates. About 60 % of its students are from countryside. In general the Agrarian University trains high-qualified personnel for the whole sphere of agriculture.
OSAU successfully implements programs of federal, regional, and university level. Selection of new kinds of grain crops, fruits, and berries, new breeds of animals, invention of vaccines, medical products, dairy products, new methods and technologies of agricultural production are the results of university research.
Omsk State Agrarian University cooperates with allied universities of the USA, Germany, Netherlands etc. The students and teachers of OSAU have an opportunity to undergo a training course abroad. The university is located in woodland park area that was laid in the years of OSAU foundation. Nowadays the area is considered” the lungs” of Omsk city.
6.Omsk State Transport University
As soon as building of Trans-Siberian Railway began, qualified specialists became necessary to develop natural resources of Siberia. That was the moment of foundation of Omsk State Transport University. In April, 1896 in Tomsk a technological institute was established (TTI). Later on the basis of railway specialties of TTI Siberian Institute of Transport Engineers was created. In 1932 it was reorganized into Tomsk Electromechanical Institute of Railway Engineers. In 1961 the institute moved from Tomsk to Omsk and renamed Omsk Institute of Railway Engineers. In 1994 it was transformed into Omsk State Transport Academy. In 1997 the academy became a university called Omsk State Transport University.
Now OSTU trains specialists in three institutes (Institute of Automatics, Telecommunications and Information Technologies, Institute of Management and Econimics, Institute of Advanced Training and Retraining) at 6 departments and 27 chairs.
Transport University includes a Research Institute, Department of Pre-university Training and Professional Orientation, Correspondence Department, Institute of Advanced Training and Retraining. Besides that, Omsk State Transport University has two branches: in Omsk and Taiga town (Kemerovo Oblast), 3 representative offices: in Karasuk, Surgut, and Petropavlovsk.
The university has the resource base required: training and scientific complexes with modern equipment, computer classes, unique training installations in the university laboratories, branches of the departments at enterprises, a library (about 1mln volumes), 7 buildings, 7 dormitories, a sports complex, an alimentation center, an entertainment center.
Foreign students study in OSTU at basic specialties and attend courses of the Russian language. Today university scientists do large-scale research work on key issues of scientific and technological advance, they are the authors of inventions, encyclopedias, monographs and textbooks, conduct network, All-Russian, and international conferences and workshops.
Research is done in the sphere of reliability and service of rolling stock, electrification, increase of the rate of motion, energy saving, quality of electric power, communication and signaling, centralization and blocking, economics of railroads, systems of information transfer, development of elements of promising types of monorail transport.
Omsk State Transport University is one of the leading developers of rail transport in the sphere of diagnostics of the technique, technology of reconstruction and repair of parts and junctions of the rolling stock, electric propulsion, power supply and current pickup, resources- and energy-saving technologies and equipment etc.
OSTU is an actively developing educational and scientific center having high scientific and technological potential that is capable of effective performing of all the functions connected with the organization and implementation of educational process and training of scientific and pedagogical personnel of highest qualification and of influencing scientific and technical policy of the region and the sphere.
In Omsk State Transport University favourable conditions are created for those who dream of great science. In other words, there function centers of postgraduate and doctoral training and a council for defense of Ph.D and Doctoral theses.
In the University Center of Interantional Cooperation with the help of booklets of foreign universities or via the Internet one can select a program of studying abroad that is summer language courses, incorporated studying(1-2 terms), preparation of diploma project, magistracy, and practical training.
The university has 5 well-organized dormitories, a university library, which is one of the largest in Omsk, a sports complex with five gyms, a ski pavilion, an open tennis court, basketball, volleyball pitches, a football field, a policlinic, a summer recreation center in Chernoluchie settlement.
The graduates of Omsk State Transport University are offered places of employment. They are welcomed on Russian railroads and in industrial sector companies.
7.Siberian State Automobile and Highway Academy (SibADI)
SibADI was founded in 1930 along with four other automobile and highway institutes in Russia. Then there were only 2 departments: Road-Building and Automobile. At the beginning of the 1950s the institute enlarged the intake of students at the automobile and road-building departments, opened evening and correspondence departments.
In the1960s a center of postgraduate training and a council for defense of Ph.D and Doctoral theses opened in the academy, and its own publishing house and a patent department appeared.
Today Siberian State Automobile and Highway Academy is a huge training, research, and production complex for graduating specialists in different spheres: engineers, mechanical engineers, builders, economists, managers that work in Siberia, Kazakhstan, the Far East, the Extreme North.
SibADI consists of more than 40 subdivisions, including branches in Nizhnevartovsk, Surgut and Ufa. Since 2003 the university has been active in international cooperation. Over the period scientific and technical relations has improved, the scientists of the academy has taken part in international workshops and conferences. Besides that, international scientific projects have been applied to.
In 1999, Omsk Automobile and Highway Institute was renamed academy Now one can get education in the institution at the following departments: Automobile Roads and Bridges, Transport and Technological Machines, Automobile Transport, Economics and Management, Information Systems in Management. There is also an opportunity of accelerated or correspondence training; in the Center of additional education it is possible to get education by correspondence with the help of distant learning.
SibADI graduates work in almost all the companies connected with automobile transport or road building. The reason is that Siberian Automobile and Highway Academy is an actively developing institution of higher education that enloys stable public recognition and has a potential that allows it to solve the problems and adequately react to all social and economic changes in the country and in the region in particular.
The academy has a developed material and technical basis, laboratory complex, modern computers, a library. The academy has a sports and fitness complex “Komissarov’s garden” on the bank of the Irtysh river and a recreation center in Chernoluchie settlement. To organize extra-curricular, sports activities, and entertainment there is an assembly hall, an art center, a dance hall, seven gyms, and a ski pavilion.
Omsk Academy of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
8.Omsk Academy of Ministry of Internal Affairs
is one of the oldest educational institutions of the system of Ministry of Internal Affairs. In 1920 Courses of command staff for police were opened and later they were transformed into the School of middle command staff and crime detection, then it became a special Police School . In 1965 it became an institution of higher education. Over the years thousands of semiskilled specialists and those of supreme qualification have been trained and a large resource base and teaching materials have been developed in the educational institution.
After several changes in its name the institution acquired the name of the 2nd Omsk School of Administrative and Police Workers of NKVD of RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic).
In afterwar decades the status of Omsk Police School had a substancial change. In 1954 the educational institutions that trained policy personnel were transferred to the full state social security equal in rights to the military educational institutions.
On June, 1, 1995, Omsk Policy School was reorganized into a Law Institute. Since February, 4, 2000, it has been called Omsk Academy of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia. The structure of the Academy consists of 19 chairs, 7 departments, 9 organization departments. There function 7 departments to study at:: Criminal Police, Police of Public Safety, Investigation, Intermediate Vocational Education, Training of Scientific and Pedagogic Personnel, Correspondense and Advanced Training Department (including Kemerovo branch of correspondence education), and Common Law.
Omsk State Medical Academy
9.The Omsk State Medical Academy (OSMA)
was founded in 1920 as Medical Department in Siberian Institute of Veterinary and Zoology . In 1921 the department was reorganized into an independent West-Siberian State Medical Institute.
The institution got its current name in 1994. Omsk Medial Academy trains and retrains specialists for Omsk, Kurgan, Tyumen, Chelyabinsk oblasts, Altai Krai, and Khanty-Mansi and Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrugs.
The academy has a license that gives it a right to perform educational activities in the sphere of professional education for the specialties: Medical Business, Pediatrics, Medical and Prophylactic business, Dentistry, and also by all the programs of pre-university and after aftergraduate studies.