ENGLISH     DEUTSCH     РУССКИЙ     PHOTOS
News  |  Guest book  |  Site map  | 
 Search: 
Dostoevsky and Omsk
New opening of Dostoevsky museum in Omsk.

This event became significant not only for Omsk culture, but for a wider intellectual audience. The collection of works
of a great world value came off the press. Omsk is intrinsically linked with the name of the great Russian writer.
Dostoevsky spent 4 years in Omsk penal prison. He worked on brick field, burnt and beat alabaster and labored in the
engineer workshop. "If only I didn't find good people here, I would die+", - wrote Feudor Mikhailovich about Omsk fortress
commandmant Alexey Feudorovich de Grave. It was de Grave's house where in 1983 a literature museum, named after the great
Russian writer and humanist, was opened. This event has not only commemorative context, but it also emphasizes a special
historical milestone in Dostoevsky's life in Omsk. Here he turned from writer into philosopher. The notes that he made in
Omsk underlay many of his works, and almost 300 quotations from Fuedor Mikhailovich prison-time notebook can be recognized
in "Notes from the Deadhouse". Space-planning decisions, technical reequipment and arrangement of the exhibits housing in
the showrooms are subordinate to the problem of present-day understanding of Russian classic's heritage. The exposition
tells about Dostoevsky's life and work, and a special attention is paid to the Siberian period of the writer's life. The
first edition of "Notes from the Deadhouse" (1862), issues of such magazines as "Vremya", "Otechestvennye zapiski",
"Rysskiy vestnik" with the first publications of Dostoevsky's novels are represented in the museum. An ancient furniture
from A.I. Shtakenshneider's salon in Saint Petersburg, where in 60-70's of XIX century stayed Feudor Mikhailovich also is
there. The collection of fine arts has rare illustrations to "Notes from the Deadhouse". The exposition has been renewed:
several lifetime editions of Dostoevsky's work, a lot of pictures with the sights of ancient Saint Petersburg and other
cities, visited by the writer, were brought from Moscow and Saint Petesburg. From Kuznezk, Semipalatinsk, Staraya Russa
ENGLISH  |  DEUTSCH  |  РУССКИЙ  |  PHOTOS  |  Щ top