|On the 1-2 of March 2005 Omsk Literary Museum named after F.M.Dostoevsky introduced the All-Russian presentation of its new exposition. Omsk museum, the only Dostoevsky museum in Siberia and one of the six such museums in Russia, was opened after a total reconstruction. The reconstruction of Omsk Literary museum and the creation of this absolutely new exposition were put into practice under the auspices of Omsk region government and in the framework of priority regional project “The Culture of Omsk Region”.
All-Russian presentation taking place in Omsk was visited by the representatives from all the museums named after Dostoevsky: from St. Petersburg, Darovoe settlement (Moscow region), Staraya Russa, Novokuznetsk, etc.
Omsk intelligentsia took an active part in the creation. A round table discussion involved such issues as today’s role of literary museums on the global scale, present day understanding of Dostoevsky’s personality and works, joint projects of all the museums bearing the great writer’s name. Museums` mission is changing at the moment, they are becoming sociocultural centres, contribute to social unity, associate people with historical knowledge.
It was A.F.Palashenkov, a famous regional studies researcher, who proposed in the 20th century to establish a museum in one of the oldest Omsk buildings, erected in 1799 for the commandants of Omsk fortress. In his time Palashenkov did a great task collecting exponents for the Literary Museum.
In July 1859 F.M.Dostoevsky visited A.F.Grave, the last commandant of Omsk fortress, at his house, where the Literary Museum is situated at the moment. F.M.Dostoevsky was the prisoner in Omsk from 1850 till the beginning of 1854.
Omsk became the place of the classic’s spiritual formation. This very time became the time of his spiritual transformation, the turning point of his creative work, which allowed him to achieve the highest level in understanding of Russian national peculiarities and to leave a priceless literary heritage. Here he grew into a philosopher, which served as a core for the new exposition of Omsk Literary Museum. Glass hanging panels, oil wall painting, special lighting - all this is aimed at the try to do away with the habitual perception of Dostoevsky’s works and to create a bright image of them.
There are nine halls in the building. The exposition devoted to the life and work of Dostoevsky is situated in five halls. A special place in the exposition is occupied by the complete set of his works. Specialists consider this publishing project, which was brought into life by the initiative of Omsk governor, one of the crucial events of the new century.
It owes greatly to the efforts of Omsk citizens that Dostoevsky was returned to Russia, his heritage was popularized and the interest for his works has increased noticeably. A monument to Dostoevsky was erected in Omsk on the occasion of the 180 years of his birth.
And on the occasion of the 300 anniversary of Omsk foundation ( in 2016) the historic part of our city will be reconstructed, and Dostoevsky Museum will occupy a special place there.
|Belov museum- one of the finest museums in Omsk
|In spring of 1991, the museum of People’s artist Belov was opened in Omsk. Works of the artist K. Belov (1900-1988) depict our furious 20-th century; they are a song about Siberia, an epic image of our powerful and wonderful land.
K. P. Belov is a classic of landscape painting. There are the following works exhibited in one of the museum halls: “Timber rafting on the Irtysh River”, “Native fields”, “The Irtysh – river of Siberia”. Besides picturesque canvas there are graphical works, book illustrations,etc.
There is the studio of the artist recreated in one of the rooms. On the photos are friends and relatives of Kondratiy Petrovich, in the bookcase – his favourite books. There is unfinished work of the artist on the easel. There is a coat, a hat and a walking stick hanging on the clothes tree. Everything creates the atmosphere of the artist’s presence.
The museum is placed in the house-monument of the wooden architecture of the beginning of the 20-th century. The owner of the house, F. F. Stumpf (1864-1921) was a member of the city duma, the chairman of Omsk department of Moscow Agricultural Society, an editor of the magazine “Agriculture in Siberia”, agriculturist and businessman. The change of epochs led this man to the tragic decease. Nowadays the memory about him is saved in his house. One of the museum halls is Stumpf’s living room.
All the excursions to the museum end up in the living room with tea-drinking with Siberian patties. Near the samovar visitors share their impressions in free and easy atmosphere.
|Omsk Regional Museum of Fine Arts
|Omsk Regional Museum of Fine Arts named after M. A. Vrubel was founded
in 1924 as a picture-gallery attached to Western-Siberian regional museum.
The activity of the museum’s director F. V. Melekhin, aimed at acquisition
of collections of the domestic and foreign art, played a great role in
creation of arts department. By 1940 picture-gallery, which managed to form
a rich collection of works of arts in short terms, became an independent
museum. Nowadays Omsk regional Museum of Fine Arts named after M. A. Vrubel
is the biggest repository of works of arts in the region. There are
more than 24 thousands units saved in its funds. There is a permanent
exposition shown on the squares of the museum; it demonstrates variety of the
collection: painting works, works of graphics, sculpture, arts and crafts,
archeology, rare books and documents.
The museum is placed in two buildings: in Governor-General’s palace (Lenina
street, 23), built in 1859-1862 by the architect F. F. Vagner; and in the
own Trade building, created in 1914 by A. Y. Kryachkov.
The museum’s collection contains such unique monuments as monumental picture
“Flowers” by M. A. Vrubel – the only painting work of arts of the artist in
collections of the museums of Siberia: pictures of A. Yavlenskiy, M. Larionov,
N. Goncharova, drawings and graphical design of Russian-American artist V. Moll,
produce of the Faberzhe firm, gold of Scythian period, etc.
The museum is busy with acquisition, keeping, registration and study of the
collections. It has at its disposal seven restoration departments for the next
materials: painting in oil and tempera painting, textiles, ceramics, furniture,
metal, frames. There are four restorers of the first category working in the
division. One of the main tasks is creation of the general catalogue of the
collections. There are conferences, guidance seminars, colloquiums and
discussion departments organized by the museum. There is also annual
conference “December dialogues” held; it is devoted to the memory of the first
director of the museum F. V. Melekhin. There are scientific articles, materials
of conferences and seminars, monographs of the workers of the museum, albums,
booklets, informational and methodical materials.
There are many museum-pedagogical programs and competitions conducted by the
museum. Also circles and unions for all the ages are working. Nowadays there
are also performances of "Theatre of Painting" and concert programs of “Vrubel’s
stage” conducted besides traditional activities of the museum such as excursions,
lectures, lessons of artistic studios, thematic evenings.
During last 5 years the museum with its considerable collections of works of art
of XIX-th and the beginning of the XX-th century has participated in 4
international projects (the USA, Italy, Austria, Germany), and in exhibitions,
organized on the squares of State Russian museum and State Trtyakovskaya Gallery.
An exhibition “Unknown Siberia: treasures of burial-mounds – Mikhail Vrubel
“Knave of diamonds” – “Three of hearts” and others” made in the context of project
of State Tretyakovskaya Gallery “Golden map of Russia” became an especially
considerable event, which helped to conclude an agreement concerning co-operation
between Omsk region government and Tretyakovskaya Gallery.
|“Liberov Center”, which is the youngest museum of Omsk, was opened in 1994. The purpose of creation of the museum was not only forming of collection of works of art, but also the organization of studio for gifted children.
The activities of the museum is concerned with creative work of People’s artist of Russia, a laureate of State prize named after I. E. Repin, a Corresponding Member of Academy of Arts – A. N. Liberov. There is a memorial collection of the artist being formed in the museum; it includes his works, documents of professional and social activities and works of his apprentices.
A. N. Liberov is a classic of Siberian lyrical landscape – he had been teaching for many years in the artistic-graphical faculty of Omsk Pedagogical Institute, and prepared many students.
The works of the artist, made in 1970-90, are prevailing in the exposition. The main theme is poetic and subtle landscape of Siberia. The artist achieves emotional expressiveness thanks to soft contrasts of colours, compositional opposition of foreground and background, precise distribution of spots of light and shadow. The favourite technique of the artist is pastel.
|The museum was opened in 1985.
The first exposition showed the participation of Omsk enterprises for the needs of the front and of Omsk units in the battles of the Great Patriotic War in 1941-1945.
In 1990, an exhibition complex in the open air was opened. There are patterns of technical equipment placed in the yard of the museum: tanks, cannons, famous “Katusha”.
The complex was arranged with the help of the then Minister of Defence of USSR, D. T. Yazov.
In 2005, a renewed exposition was opened , organized according to chronological principle.
The museum’s activity is aimed to save historic and cultural heritage, concerned with heroic history of Russian state in its struggle for independence on different stages of historical development; it is aimed to bring to light historical relics and to form collections, which illustrate the participation of Siberian military formations in the struggle for independence of native land.
The main fund of the museum contains about 5000 units.
General excursion “Soldier’s feat”;
“Omsk-citizens in the battles of Moscow”;
“308-th shooting division near Stalingrad”;
“Creative works of wartime”;
“Defenders of blockaded Leningrad”;
“The war has not a female face”;
Excursions-lessons, meetings in the halls of the museum:
“The soldiers of the World War II”;
“What do I know about the war?”;
“When the cannons were rattling, muses were not silent”;
“Fair-haired battalion” (about women at the front);
“Weapon of victory”;
“My pain - Afghanistan”;
|Omsk State Museum of History
|Omsk State Museum of History and Regional Studies was established in 1878 on the basis of West Siberian Department of Imperial Russian Geographic society. The initiators of its creation were governor-general of Western Siberia Nikolay Gennad’evich Kaznakov, who is also famous as the initiator of creation of the first University in Sibiria; outstanding scientists, travelers and public figures – Grigoriy Nikolaevich Potanin, Michail Vasil’evich Pevtsov, Nikolay Mihaylovich Yadrintsev, Ivan Yakovlevich Slovtsov and the others.
Initially there were just national-geographic and ethnographical funds in the museum. The collection of the museum was being formed mainly with the help of expositions, which were gathered by the members of the West-Siberian Department of Imperial Russian Geographic Society during the Siberian and Central Asia expeditions, as well as with the help of money given by the citizens voluntarily. In such a way the collection was replenished with a trade Siberian gun (the gift of G.N.Kaznakov), sacrificial Chinese bowls (the gift of G.N. Potanin), a stone image (the gift of I.Y.Slovtsov), and many other exhibits. In its 1st year of existence there were sent more than 1000 things to the museum, including ethnographical exhibits from the world’s fair, which was in Paris in 1867.
Being a member of the West Siberian Department of Imperial Russian Geographic Society, the museum repeatedly took part in the biggest exhibitions: in 1879 in the Anthropological exhibition of Moscow University, in 1887 in the Ural – Siberian scientific-practical exhibition in Ekaterinburg, where The West-Siberian Department was awarded for its exhibits and activity with the Golden Medal, in 1896 in the All-Russian Nizhegorodscaya trade- industrial exhibition, after which there were sent many new and interesting exhibits in the museum, in 1900 in the World’s fair in Paris; in 1902 in the International exhibition of costumes in St. Petersburg, in 1911 in the First West-Siberian Agricultural, Forest and Trade-industrial exhibition in Omsk.
In 1921 The Museum of the West Siberian Russian Geographical Society was reorganized in the Independent Public Institution and became known as the State West Siberian Museum of Regional Studies.
Along with the traditional scientific-research and collecting activities in museum, there was livened up the social-economic study and the study of the political and social-cultural history of the Siberian region. In 1924 for the first time there was opened an exposition in the Art Gallery of the museum, the biggest part of the exhibits for which were received from the Central (Moscow) and Leningradskiy museum funds. During the severe years of the Second World War the Omsk Museum provided the safety of the unique collection, evacuated in Siberia from the biggest Russian museums of Moscow, Vologda, Voronezh and Novgorod.
Nowadays, Omsk State Museum of history and Regional Studies is one of the oldest and the biggest museums in Siberia. Its collections number about 200 thousands stock-keeping units.
Cultural- examining work is one of the main activities of Omsk State Museum of History and Regional Studies. It is built on the basis of the constant and temporary exhibitions, as well as the fund museum collections, which are used for lectures, conversations and other forms of work. The first hall of the museum expositions illustrates the ancient history of the Middle territories of Irtish Region on the basis of the archeological collection – from the first settlements of a man on the territory of our region in the Paleolithic epoch till medieval findings. Excursions are held here for the visitors of any ages. For the smallest visitors there are conversations with the playing moments and using of original things of the interactive museum fund (children become acquainted with the technology of earthenware crockery making and they can also model using plasticine). The historical section starts in this very hall – The Middle Ages on the middle territories of Irtish Region. Spiritual Culture of Siberian nations, material and spiritual culture of the natives of the West Siberian north – Khanty- are the themes of this section.
The museum’s exposition also suggests its visitors becoming acquainted with the exposition “For belief and faith”. The theme of this exposition is the History of Siberian Cossack’s Army, as well as the campaign of ataman Ermak and settlement of Siberia by Russian people, foundation of Omsk fortress an d other interesting pages from the history of Omsk city till the beginning of the 20 century. There are many household goods, things connected with the service of the Siberian Cossack’s Army, weapons, rewards. General and thematical excursions are held here. These are “Siberian Joining to the Russian Government”,
“Omsk Foundation”, “For Belief and Faith”, “From chain armour to a King’s coat”.
Wonderful ethnographical exposition “Asian Russia” has let work out the series of excursions about the way of life, farming and traditions of the nations of our region. General excursions, including the description of the 4 biggest nations, who lived in Omsk region, are held here. These nations are Russians, Kazakhs, Tatars, Germans. The themes are “Asian Russia”, “At a farmhouse and in izba”, “Children of a steppe”, “Tatar’s necklace”, “Germans in Siberia” and the others.
There was made a children playing exposition “Old Fortress” for the children of the preschool and primary school ages. This is a comfortable playing room, where children in a friendly atmosphere become acquainted with the history of origin, inner organization, population of Omsk fortress; they learn a lot about the building of the Russian fortresses. Working on the creation of this exposition, museum teachers adapted it especially for the children perception. There are no tablets such as “Don’t touch it”, children are allowed not only to touch things but also play with them.
Visitors like the hall of nature, where excursions about the regional nature, peculiarities of the climate and about ancient animals of the middle territories of Irtish region are held. For babies there are thematical assignments concerning native zones. These are “A forest stroll”, “Along rivers and lakes”, “Forest mysteries”, as well as a fascinating excursion “A journey to the mammoth country”.
A renewed exposition of the nature department was opened in the museum. There you can see many exhibits and things that will tell about the geological past of Omsk Irtish region and of course about the Irtish river, which is the main water-way of our region. The Irtish River is the key constituent of the whole exposition. There are dwellers of the aquatic and show-line fauna of the Irtish in a diorama, and in showcases. Materials on the ecology are of the vital importance here: the attention is focused on the questions of using and conservation of the Irtish water resources, which is the biggest river in Western Siberia, its fauna and flora.
Traveling through the exposition you will learn when and where first people appeared on the territory of Omsk Irtish Region, as well as become acquainted with the way of life of different times and nations.
Address: tel.number – 644024
Omsk city, Lenina street, 23 a